My mother makes the bestest shortbreads thanks to a recipe from Great-Aunt Margaret. They may not be healthy but by gosh they’re delicious and addictive. Bet you can’t eat just one!
They are perfect for holidays, especially if you have themed cookie cutters! You’ll discover yourself making these for all the major holidays: Christmas, Valentine’s, Victoria Day…
- 1 pound or block of 20/80
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups flour
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Roll into big balls (e.g. baseball size) and place into plastic bag because they dry out and fall apart quickly.
- Flour counter and roll out dough until between 0.5-1cm thick.
- Use your favourite cookie cutters!
- Place cut out cookies on parchment papered trays.
- Bake until slightly golden at the edges at about 325, depending on your stove. Don’t overcook.
- Frost if desired.
Butter Cream Frosting
Blend melted butter or margarine, icing sugar, cream (5% or 10% milk fat), and a flavouring of your choice until you get desired taste and consistency.
What flavouring should you use? Pure vanilla or almond.
This frosting takes the cookies to the next level. We always put colour in the frosting as well as sprinkles on the finished product.
Enjoy! And hide from everyone else!
Don’t eat anything else for the rest of the day if you’re on a calorie restricted diet.